Monday 19 December 2011

Anne Frank Museum


 I was staying in Holland for one year during my exchange program. I got a chance to went to a museum when I was visiting Amsterdam. The museum called Anne Frank House. It is located in the center of Amsterdam. I went there with my Indonesian friends that live in Holland.   It is not really big but it is interesting, because it was based on the book written by Anne Frank herself.  
The museum made of two houses.  The first house used for exhibition and the other one is the achterhuis or the hiding place for Anne Frank and family.
The museum of Anne Frank was dedicated for her as a Jewish that hid from the Nazi. Beside her, there were also her family and four other people hidden rooms at the rear of the building.
I took a narrow staircase that leads to the first floor. That area hosted the offices of Anne's father, Otto Frank. The floor was detached from the Secrete Annexe, the hiding place of the family and their friends, the Van Pel's. However, the small group would occasionally sneak downstairs at night and listen to the broadcasts from England. As I walk to the second floor, I could see the bedrooms of the Frank's family. I notice that the room of Anne Frank is just like the room of any other young girl, photos, clippings, and portraits of celebrities decorate its walls. The route leads past the bookcase that had covered the entrance to the Secret Annexe. An then I went to the next floor there’re the kitchen and the bedrooms of the Van Pel's family. I walked past them into a small exhibition at the attic space.

As I went to The exhibit, I could see artifacts and valuables of the Frank's family. It provides information about the life of Anne Frank, the Second World War and the Nazi atrocities. Copies of the Anne Frank's book are displayed in various languages. Her original diary can be seen in a display case. The small booklet is open to pages from the autumn of 1942. They contain a photograph of Otto Frank and several small photos of Anne herself. The exhibit shows movies on the Nazi occupation. We can watch a documentary in which Otto Frank expresses his amazement with the depth of feelings flowing from the pages of Anne's diary.

The Anne Franks Museum is one of a phenomenal museum that has been made. It draws almost a million visitors each year. After looking around the museum, I visit the museum’s delightful café with my friends. There, we talk about how amazing it’s the museum and wondering if we were at those times.  After that, I visit the spacious gift shop near the café. I bought some postcards as a memoir. But sadly I couldn’t took any photos in the museum because they didn’t allow us to take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment